Tofino is my favourite place on the planet, and I’ve been lucky enough to visit quite a few. These aren’t beaches like you’re used to, and this isn’t a place you go to with an agenda. I always go with ambition to hike a trail, surf a wave, or take a boat ride. Instead I do absolutely nothing - and it's the best.
Tofino is where you go to watch the surf, to wander the beach, to eat fresh seafood and admire the boats, the surfers, the birds. It’s where you go when you want to get away, and it’s even better in off-season.
- Listen to the waves from an an outdoor clawfoot bathtub.
- Let your dog run free on beautiful, big, wide beaches.
- Discover the islands only reachable at low tide.
- Eat a crab feast (whether at your cabin or The Sea Shanty)
- Get fancy in flannel at The Wolf in the Fog, a top restaurant that maintains a very Tofino and very unpretentious vibe.
- Put on your rainboots and splash in the puddles after a storm. See what the surf dug up.
- Hunker down with a coffee or a beer to watch the waves. Or, if you're more ambitious than I, surf.
All of these photos taken in October and February.